Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Frost possible tonight

The report from the vineyard (via my Mom) is that the buds have swollen to the size of marbles ... I think some may have broken, but I'm not there to verify how many. The forecast for tonight was a low of 29-34 F ... so I am a bit concerned, but I think things are not far along enough that even a low of 30, 31 or 32 shouldn't do too much damage. The last temperature Observation from Pulaski (about 11 miles from the vineyard) was about 42 F, and the dew point was 32, so I am feeling a little better, but we will see in the morning.

My foch and cab franc in the backyard broke bud late last week, and may be susceptible tonight, but I'll take my chances. Talked to Norm Stilson from the Prairie Home Vintners club tonight, and his vines are swollen but have not broken, his vines are on a west facing slope. One of the disadvantages of my vines being on a south facing slope, is the risk of frost injury in the spring.

No comments: