Friday, June 17, 2005

Rose Chafers Attack

This weekend I came to the vineyard to find new problems. The biggest of which was the
attack of the Rose Chafers at the Park vineyard. There were none the previous Sunday
(June 12), but by Saturday June 18, they had completely consumed and apparently killed
about 4 of the seedless concord near the east and of the row. They were also severly
eating several of the LaCrosse and a few of the St Pepin. I saw some on other plants, but
it was the firs four rows on the east end that were attacked most visiously.

I directly sprayed several of the infested plants with Sevin. but I didn't go overboard
spraying since some of the gapes still had flowers, and I didn't want to harm the honey bees.

Fred Dombrowski had cut hay in the adjoining field on Wednesday, and I don't know if this
contributed to the infestation.

The pit vineyard was reletively unscathed.

I had my nephew Brent as my helper this week.

Several weeds had reappeared since last week, but it wasn't terrible. It was Brents duty
to pull weeds, although he spent a lot of time fighting off horse flies, Rose Chafers and
Bumble bees.

Brent also helped me get some of the trellis wire up. ... I was able to get about five or
6 lengths of wire up. I still have about 10 lengths to go. But I'm getting there.

I was able to get the irrigation for the pit vineyard going. I water it for about 3.5
hours on Sunday ... each of the 75 vines had a 1 gal/hour dripper next to it.

The pit vines looked fairly healthy. The Cabernet Sauvignon, that had only been planted 3
weeks earlier, were just begining to leaf out. Most of the other vines had a healthy
about of leaves coming from them.

I think I saw only 3 or 4 vines from the Cab Franc, Merlot, and Chardonnay that did not
have leaves.

No comments: