Sunday, June 12, 2005
Weeding and canopy management/ vine training
I spent the last weekend up at the vineyard again. Most of the chardonnay has finally
broken bud. I think 2 or 3 still had not. Maybe a total of a half dozen vines have not
broken bud from the original 60 that were planted.
The cabernet Sauvignon planted two weeks later have not broken bud yet, but I do see some
signs of them pushing through.
I have not finished setting up the irrigation yet, but we have had rain every couple of
days at the vineyard, so things seemed adequately moist.
It looks like a deer may have run through the vineyard at the pit, since one of the wires
around it was pulled through the middle. I didn't see any damage though.
I had Kellan and Michael there to weed. They got about 4 full rows done. Another 4 need
to be done.
I mowed, but I set the mower high. The grass hadn't grown too much in the 2 weeks I was
gone. I plan on mowing it shorter next time.
I also spent a lot of time pruning off shoots from the bases, and tying vines to the
plastic coated metal stakes that I am using. I put the vine cuttings in between the rows
on the grass to be mulched in. I severely cut back several vines, and tried to select the
strongest cane to become the trunk. I also snipped a lot of the grapes I saw growing,
hoping to divert some of the energy into new growth.
I hope to get some trellising done next weekend, since some of my winter die off, may have been due to vine injury from poor trellis support during the growing season.
Posted by Jerrold at 10:12 PM