Sunday, May 07, 2006

Frost in the vineyard

Well the early spring finally caught up to the grapes. Early on Saturday morning I had a frost/freeze at the vineyard. I don't know the official low in the vineyard, but it was at least 31 F by the house; my brother commented that there was actual ice on the car outside. He estimated about 28 or 29 F at the vineyard.

Bud break began earlier in the week; I estimate about 75% of the buds had broken by Friday night. The freeze damage was scattered through out the vineyard, and I am not sure how severe the damage is yet. Some of the shoots that were already an inch or more long showed some severe damage. Some of the buds that had broke more recently, appeared as though only the outer leaves were damaged. I tried to take some close up pictures, but the digital camera with auto focus didn't work too well ... here is my best attempt at a picture of the damage on one of the vines.

The damaged caused the outer bud leaves to look black or brownish. I hope to assess the severity of the damage later in the week.

After a warm start to the upcoming week, it is suppose to turn colder and wetter starting Wednesday. The LaCresent vines that I am planting this year, ship on Monday, and I should receive them by Wednesday or Thursday. I plan to plant them the day after they arrive.

I have the week off to do vineyard work this week. On tap for tomorrow is trellis work, application of some herbicide, and other odds and ends.

No comments: